June 4, 2007

Come fly with me....
(in my best Frank Sinitra voice) Lets fly lets fly away…..

I hope you’re all doing well, I’m still feeling a little achy and woozy but I’m doing well! I can’t wait to have these stitches removed though so I can eat and drink without having my stomach do a nauseating flip! The joys the joys….I just hope braces on the teeth are not worse that’s a two year commitment!!

I’ve almost finished my free people 'Travel swap' for my partner Lacey. I made her an accordion travel journal using some vintage images and scrap paper– I hope she likes it!
I’m going to add some thick white paper with little clips for all her little travel notes and being an accordion style journal she can just add things into the book and fold into place. I’ve also glued some money envelopes at the back so she can store little bits and pieces.
Just needs a little tidy up, some more little images and off it goes….


Front pages

Jessica tagged me
Give the meaning of your kids’ names, and write about what or how or why you gave the name to your kids

Well its kind of boring really as both Andrew and I decided to go traditional and name our children after our parents so we didn’t buy loads of name books and pour through them for months leading up to the birth….
Keeping the name within the family is a Greek tradition that has been popular for centuries so that’s why when you meet a Greek family they have a dozen Maria’s or George’s or Spiro’s…(now thats a Greek name for you!)
Most Greek names are christian/biblical names and there is usually a saint with the same name so as well as Birthdays we celebrate Name Days.
My name day is at Easter time as Anastasia means resurrection (of Christ).

The middle names are just names that I liked - I felt they went nicely with their first name.

My eldest is Peter Thomas
My father in law, Peter (Panayiotis in Greek) was named after the Panayia, the Virgin Mary as he was born on 15th August, the day of the Panayia – the second biggest religious holiday after Easter. A Very popular name with Greeks!

My youngest son is Neo Markus
He was named after my father Neophytos who was named after St Neophytos, a hermit and scholar that lived in Ayios Neophytos Monastery in 1159, he carved a home for himself out of the rock where he prayed and painted all day long.








10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Your free people swap looks wonderful! I love the bird on the cover and travel images inside, as well as the map, the envelopes are a great idea. It's so beautiful! lucky swap partner :)

    Very interesting facts about your children's names. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely accordian book!! Love all the added bits..

    Thats interesting hearing about your name choosing traditions..we dont name children after family who are still alive..

    Feel better soon..

    oh, and haloumi cheese - YUM! Ill have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the travel journal. I knew your children would have a fascinating history behind their names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this travel journal - how about a tutorial?

    or maybe some hints/tips?

    xox - eb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Wow, what wonderful name meanings - if we had children I think we'd go down the Celtic line, as we've both got good, strong Celtic roots - and I love Welsh names so much. Though I'm not sure how little Blodwyn would feel - hehe!

    I'm glad you're feeling better after your dental surgery - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful travel book,I need to start reading rhat blog. I have always loved your son Neo's name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:09 PM

    Soupa! The best. Will you teach me to make avgolomeeno some day?

    I am so hoping the wooziness goes away! But, you made it! Oh gosh. I had almost forgotten. But, now I feel bad all over again for you! Please get well soon...Lots of love your way! Muwah!

    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:45 PM

    love your accordion journal!! what a great idea.

    And how lovely to hear about your children's names too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:46 AM

    i dated a comin in college. i don't know if that's a popular greek name or not. i love neo. even tho we're not religious we are thinking of giving our kids hebrew names...now we just need to have some children! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your travel journal, it's adorable. I'm sure your partner will be overjoyed with when she receives the treasure. It makes me wanna get up and go someplace so I can document my journey!



    lucy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...